Skip to main content

Are Circles Really That Important Anymore? Taking Care of My Whole Self


The day after the announcement came that schools were cancelling all classes indefinitely, I sat in my empty classroom pondering what my next moves would be. Although it was strange not being met by my students that day, I couldn't help but appreciate the solidarity. Loud and busy students were replaced with a quietness that served as my unexpected confidant as I trailed off into deep thought. Despite other staff in my building, there were few conversations apart from a short meeting, for every teacher stayed in their own rooms, trying to process the news of what would be our new normal.  As my thoughts wandered, I couldn't help but wonder if students were feeling the seriousness of the situation or enjoying a 'no school high' that likely follows a 'no more school for the rest of the year' announcement. Surely students will be hit with the new realities of not seeing their friend, teachers or school community for a while eventually? Waiting on news of what learning would look like moving forward, I began running different scenarios in my head while trying to balance what my students might need to ease the transition into the new normal. So what is it students and teachers could need at this time in their online learning journey? Pondering this question, something magical happened-the answer for how to start off the online learning  journey was right in front of me on my green bulletin board. There positioned on the board was the circle that would spark a magical online learning opportunity for my students.



 But do circles matter? 

As educators in 2020, many of us are ethically required to integrate First Nation, Metis and Indigenous (FNMI) education into our teaching practices. During a worldwide pandemic, I realized that this could be a time where students could benefit the most from exploring other cultures and some of the practices specifically from First Nation, Metis and Indigenous education surrounding self-care. Furthermore, I wondered what this work could bring in helping students embrace and pursue their own curiosities. Having developed some knowledge  in integrating FNMI education during my undergraduate degree and my work currently in an First Nation, Metis and Indigenous action research learning community, I wanted to begin with introducing students to the Medicine Wheel. Put simply, the medicine wheel is a circle typically divided into four parts that plays a crucial role in health and well-being in Indigenous communities across North America.  But how do I get my students to embrace the medicine wheel and see how it could intersect with their own life?



The Medicine Wheel: A Tool for Well-being
To introduce students to the medicine wheel I had asked students to watch a clip from the Ted Talk entitled, 'Living a Circular Life' by Dallas Arcand .  In this powerful Ted Talk, Dallas explains the medicine wheel using hula hoops to visually show the different aspects and meanings of the medicine wheel. After watching the clip, students then read a short reading on the medicine wheel and responded to the questions: In what ways did the medicine wheel resonate with you? To my surprise, many students made thoughtful connection expressing curiosity in what learning about the medicine wheel might mean to them while facing the disruption in their lives caused by the 2020 COVID crisis.

The next step in the  learning was to get students to create their own medicine wheel and determine ways they take care of their whole self. First, students colored their medicine wheel labeling each section with body, mind, heart and spirit. Next, students were asked to reflect on their week by exploring  how they have taken care of each part of themselves in their everyday life. After initially creating their individual medicine wheel, students would share out on Google Classroom how they were taking care of themselves and were asked to continue adding to their medicine wheel every week. Overtime, the medicine wheel became a thoughtful way for students to reflect on those own well-being and regulate their emotions.


Online Formats? 
To make this medicine wheel activity come to life in an online format, I used Google Classroom to post all the materials. I also made instructional videos for my students to follow along with how to create their medicine wheel. In the video, I also modeled how to think through what to place on the medicine wheel and where.  Although high quality videos can be a challenge with only a document camera and a laptop, students still enjoyed the video despite its quality and appreciated that their teacher also was creating a medicine wheel and continuing with the task along side them.



For all the activities, lesson plans and resources please click here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Parents: Your Guide to Effective Parent-Teacher Relationships

Before being a pre-service teacher in the field, I thought dealing with adults was easy. This was however until I realized many adults of all ages do not only double as my peers, but as a parent of a student - a student I could one day come into contact with in my classroom. This student could either thrive in my class or struggle, or have a dream they desire to reach - with or without parental support. Either way, in today's society, there is the growing trend that both the parent and the student now face the demanding pressure to ensure excellent grades are achieved. With students coming from a variety of backgrounds, whether it is a newly mixed family, or a single parent home, teachers face the never ending obstacle of building success for all students in their classroom. But how can this be done without proper formal or informal communication with parents? That is one of the many loaded questions for teachers and parents in today's society. If you come up with the ultima

Switching to Online Learning in the Midst of a Pandemic

If you had asked me back in September what I thought my second year teaching would look like, I doubt I would have answered with,  "stuck in an apartment teaching my students online from my kitchen table." Like many educators in North America right now, it is quite the shift going from seeing students every day to being confined to teaching students at home using an electronic device of your choice.  Perhaps, in some ways, this new teaching predicament warrants gratitude because it does give us some time to reflect on our practice and find rest from managing challenging behaviours every day. However, despite these challenging times I can't help but be reminded of that common phrase "the grass is not always greener on the other side, it is just different." I get it, it is a global pandemic that has everyone's lives turned upside down, perhaps it is only natural for all people (including teachers) to have waves of fear, anxiety and restlessness. Even though t